Thursday, March 24, 2011

Duran Duran at the Mayan Theatre - March 23, 2011

In case you haven't heard, Duran Duran did a show with David Lynch last night.  It was for the second season of American Express' Unstaged.  It was so very incredible.  I honestly felt like I was witnessing something historic.  The Mayan theatre is gorgeous and very intimate.  It was astonishing to think that the same show I was watching was being transmitted world wide via the internet and YouTube.  Considering they were doing such a thing, thi could easily have become a Greatest Hits sort of show.  Instead, Duran Duran focused on performing their new material from their thirtennth studio album All You Need Is Now.  It's a phenomenal album and I, for one, am quite happy that they played so much of the new stuff.  Of course, there were the requisite hits but they were crowd pleasers, as always.

In addition to the amazing set list, they had great guest appearances by Mark Ronson (the producer of AYNIN), Kelis (who appears on the albums song The Man Who Stole a Leopard), Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Beth Ditto (The Gossip).  It was just an amazing show with fantastic guests.  I feel very honored to have been able to see the show live.  And believe me, I will continue to relive the excitement via YouTube.

Now, the full set list:

All You Need Is Now (preceded by a gorgeous string intro)
Being Followed
Planet Earth (with Gerard Way)
Friends of Mine
Notorious (with Beth Ditto)
Blame the Machines
Hungry Like the Wolf
Safe (in the Heat of the Moment)
Leave a Light On
Ordinary World
The Man Who Stole a Leopard (with Kelis)
Girl Panic
Careless Memories
(Reach Up for the) Sunrise
Rio


ENCORE
Come Undone
A View to a Kill (preceded by a beautiful string rendition and Simon singing a ca pella)
Girls on Film

Finally, a few pictures from the show:


Simon le Bon


Dom Brown, Mark Ronson and Nick Rhodes' head in the background (it was near impossible to get a picture of him)


John Taylor, Simon le Bon and Roger Taylor's drum kit (it was hard to get a picture of him, too)


Simon le Bon and Mark Ronson


Everyone (except David Lynch who had seemingly transported else where)

2 comments:

  1. You went to the David Lynch production???!!! I watched it on my big screen as I hooked my laptop up to it and blasted the speakers right through the roof. It was amazing. AND Duran Duran was my life saver in high school.. John Taylor was 'my man' and 'still it'.. lol - I named like 6 of my cats Chaz as I was a teen through the 80's and 90's!!! How sad is that! (loser I am) - I had EVERY Tiget Beat and other music girlie magazines with even the HINT of the guys. They just keep getting better with age - they are marinating in fabulousness. They are gorgeous as always, and Roger and John have got to be doing something illegal with their skin because they are aging like no bodies business!! They look so great. Don't get me wrong, Nick and Simon look friggen ahmazing still - but John an Roger - WOW! I tried getting tix to Pomona and for the Filmore and they were sold out even though I logged on to 3 different ticket houses as once all of them sold out. And then couldn't go to the last show they had in California. I had noone to go with and it would have been a 3 hour drive there and back. Plus the cost of a hotel room, it just wasn't in the cards. BUT, they have in fact announced a United States tour for the end of summer. September - October is the supposed time. I now know and can prepare, plan and have a ton of buddies get online to try and get tickets, whoever gets it for me to coordinate with my bestie so she can go with! Anyways, you have a really nice blog (so far, ive only been on the 1st. page) So, im going to go look at your site now! Where in So. Cal do you live? How did you get tix to the Mayan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    I would have private emailed you but, I couldn't find it. But, I also wanted to say that I am shocked that you only have 2 followers. Me and someone else? Are people stupid?

    ReplyDelete